Monday, January 5, 2009

Tristam Shandy Continues

Life has gotten in the way of this book. I'm only on page 15 out of 400 and I honestly expected to be finished or well on my way to being finished with this book by this time.

The book is circular and digressive by design coupled with 18th century language making this slow going. As it is I'm only on page 20.

It's not that the book's prose particularly dense, yet the language and the constant asides make me re-read passages to make certain that i'm grasping what i'm reading. It isn't aided by the fact that he will digress while digressing about how he's about to digress from his current digression and inform the reader to skip ahead.

if i were to express this book in a current internet meme, it would be Xzibit.


"Yo, dawg, I heard you like asides. So I put an aside in your aside so you can digress while you're digressing"

2 comments:

  1. I just digressed in my pants. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. a common ailment amongst women in his time period.

    ReplyDelete