Monday, March 16, 2009

New Book: Apocalypse Movies

I've been a fan of Kim Newman for a while, having chanced across his Anno Dracula series in the 90's and have become aware of his excellent film writing in the past decade or so since I started to pick up Video Watchdog fairly regularly.

Apocalypse Movies is so far a largely shallow examination of films which deal with radical alterations to society. The chapters are broken down by thematic elements and some films will make repeated appearances due to their nature.

So far, there's nothing really mind blowing to me, no great original insights, but the writing is fast and breezy and it's an enjoyable way to spend a train ride.

If you're interested, yet unfamiliar, then this book may be an enjoyable read, however, my criteria with regards to film books being "good" or not is "Does the book make me add movies to my Netflix Queue?" This may not be fair criteria for this book as this is territory I have managed to cover on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment